Friday, April 22, 2011

Spicing up our life

Day 15 in the Kingdom... Dag 15 i Kungariket

The last few days have been spent with trying to fix up the house and filling the pantry. Our housing came fully furnished and with a starter pack (4 sieves, but no cups or mugs), which helps out a lot when it comes to starting a new living from scratch. But we also have to eat, so over the past few days I have tried stocking up the kitchen cupboards with the essential staples, which includes a number of spices seeing that we do a lot of ethnic cooking.

A week ago we had invited some friends over for breakfast and just before they arrived I realised that we don't even have salt & pepper. Luckily our compound has a little grocery shop for the essentials, so the problem was easily solved.


Back to basics, spice wise at least...
Koka soppa på tre kryddor...

For a few days we got by with the above spices which included an Italian spice mixture that I brought with me from Australia. It is a really nice mix of spices and it also reminds me of my university days when me and my flatmate only bought the bare essentials for the kitchen as our stay in Australia was only temporary.



Nowadays I live in a half Indian household and my friends tell me that they now consider me Indian by association! No Indian household will get by without a myriad of spices, so on my first trip to the local supermarket I headed straight for the spice counter. The man behind the counter thought that my long list of things would never end...



There were still some spices left in the shop, I promise!
Mitt saldo efter att ha rannsakat kryddisken i supermarketen!

The supermarkets over here remind me a lot of those back home, they have these deli counters that sell a never ending variety of cheese, spice, fish, bread... It might seem ridiculous to some but finding the food that tastes and even smells familiar to you plays an important role when adjusting to a new country. Just this week I met a woman that found it hard to adjust because the meat tastes and smells so different. At first this seemed strange to me as there are so many other things in this country that is so different, but the more I thought about this the more I agreed with her.

Dom senaste dagarna har jag varit upptagen med att försöka förvandla vår villa till ett hem. Jag väntar fortfarande på att få frakten från Australien levererad så för tillfället försöker jag få köket att bli fullt fungerande. Alla möbler är inkluderade i hyran och huset kom också med ett så kallat startpaket. Startpaketet innehöll det mesta som behövs i ett hushåll: kärl, bestick, handdukar, lakan etc.





Som en del av servicen i vårt bostadskomplex är busservicen som transporterar oss husfruar till och från lokala shoppingcenter. Så en av dom första dagarna hoppade jag på bussen för att besöka den lokala supermarketen. Matbutikerna här påminner en hel del om marketarna därhemma, men besöker man butiken för första gången så behövs det nästan en karta så att man inte går vilse!

Mitt första butiksbesök gick mest ut på att handla en massa basvaror. Högst på listan stod en lång lista med kryddor. Inget halvindiskt hushåll klarar sej utan åtminstone en triljon olika kryddor. Mannen bakom kryddisken trodde nog att min lista aldrig skulle ta slut. Jo, ni läste rätt, kryddisken. I supermarketen säljer dom kryddor, nötter och torkade frukter av alla dess slag. Jag önskar att de sku finnas ett sätt att förmedla doften via bloggen. När jag nu öppnar mitt skafferi börjar det dofta alltmer som hemma, det är otroligt hur så simpla ting som dofter och smaker får det att kännas alltmer som hemma!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...