Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Whose kitchen rules

I don't watch a lot of TV and I definitely do not watch a lot of reality TV. I find reality TV confusing, I mean is what you see even real or is it scripted. I also find reality shows to be a huge inconvenience because new episodes air every day. Every day! I have days when I don't even turn the TV on!

Nevertheless I will make one exception when it comes to my dislike for reality shows, that's reality food shows. I am passionate about food and I think it makes for great entertainment. It's just great to see ordinary people and the way they develop as cooks. Recently a new season of My Kitchen Rules started on Australian TV. In this competition the contestant compete as teams of two and they represent they different states of Australia. For some reason a couple of states have been left out, I wonder why because this country only has 8 states and territories.

These teams represent people from all walks of life, you have butchers, Italian cousins, newly weds etc. Each team will invite all the other contestants to their house along with two judges (two professional chefs, one with the strangest French accent). They serve a three course meal and are get marks from the judges as well as the fellow contestants. In general the teams are really supportive and encouraging of one another, which is nice to see, because after all they are all competing against one another.

One team stands out from this trend, the newly weds from Tasmania. The wife has been complaining and whinging about pretty much every single dish she has eaten. I know reality TV lends itself very well to overdramatise certain aspects of the show and I think it is working well in this case. There are a number of groups on Facebook that have been set up just because people dislike this woman! These people will be glued to the TV tonight as the episode showing the Tasmanians contributions goes to air today. I'll be one of those people and the show starts in a few minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...